Friday 23 February 2007

The problem with the pace of technology

I needed some support with a router that we are having problems with at work. I looked on the website and found technical notes – FAQ’s troubleshooting etc, but under the model I am looking for, there were only PDF’s available proclaiming the European compliance. Not especially helpful.

I couldn’t seem to find a basic user manual either, so I rang the number listed on the site for UK support.

The first time I rang I was given a premium rate number to call for support, which the line announced itself as (a different model router) support upon connection. The advisor I spoke to could not find any documentation on my model of router but wished me luck in finding help.

I rang the UK number again and explained the situation for a second time. The lady I spoke to was very helpful but was looking on their website for help, which I'd already explained that I'd checked. She was unable to find anything relating to the router on the website that I hadn’t already found myself, which came as no great surprise. She then offered me a number for support for home products that was in America. I explained that for one thing this was a business product, or at least being used by a business and secondly that it seemed ludicrous that there was no European number to call, let alone a UK based number. She offered me a second number, which started with the code for America. I pointed this out only to be told, “I don’t know if it’s an American number or not.” I confirmed that it was definitely an American number from the code. She read it out anyway.

She then Exclaimed that yes, she had found a UK number, but then realised it was the number I was already speaking to her on, which she ironically commented was ‘helpful’ before saying, “I don’t know why they put our number, it’s not really any use to you.” I had to agree.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.