Wednesday 20 December 2006

For openers...

I opened a myspace account a while back, for the simple reason that I wanted an online blog to be able to post stuff to. Random thoughts, interesting (to me anyway,) topics and musings... that sort of thing.
There were a couple of problems with that idea. One was that I got sucked into the whole Myspace thing for a short period. I know, I'm not proud of myself for entering what is essentially an online popularity contest, but obviously the site exudes some sort of chemical that can be ingested visually, the symptoms being that you lose any semblence of decorum, propriety or the ability to be embarressed by your own actions and I therefore console myself with the fact that I cannot in any way be held accountable as I was essentially the victim of online bamboozlement.
The second problem was that, although I have a passion for almost all things creative, (needlecraft just doesn't do it for me, but several members of my family enjoy it immensely,) with writing being a top two favourite, I am so bad at journal writing that any attempt throughout my life to keep any kind of diary has ended both swiftly and abruptly and so the Myspace blog was almost destined to failure before I'd finished typing the first post.
Another issue was that I kind of wanted the blog to be anonymous, having read about Dooced.com, coupled with prior problems involving writing things down and then having people read them and take offence or else I'd end up in trouble some way or another. This makes it sound like I go about leaving post it notes with inflammatory remarks on people's desks. This is not the case. I have however, written down my feelings, (at the time, which may have changed later as feelings can,) and have had the people involved read them and get upset at how I felt at the time, assuming that nothing had changed in the intervening period. This is why most people don't want their diaries read.
Writing, despite being a major form of communication has an obvious flaw - the loss of all non verbal communication (actually in theory the loss of verbal communication too since writing is non verbal,). So you lose not only any accompanying facial expressions, body language but also intonation. If you're reading a novel, it's usually written in such a way as to make the intonation of any character's speech implied, but there can still be misunderstandings. Translate this to a personal message that was not intended to offend anyone, but without the intonation behind the missive it becomes ambiguous or else can be misconstrued as to intent and you have your average internet forum or chat room. It is my belief that the sort of technology you see in sci-fi, (video calling etc,) needs to be widely implemented pretty quickly because if we all end up online as our major form of communications, then one badly worded post could end up escalating into ww3 or the rapture, whichever you prefer.
All this is by way of saying hi & welcome to my blog. I'll probably be pretty crap at keeping it updated, but one of my new year's resolutions is to try & post something at least once a week. (I've had to promise myself that if I post more than once in a week, it doesn't mean I don't have to post next week or whatever.)
Some of the content may be funny, (at least I hope so,) some of it might be serious food for thought, some of it might be short & sweet, other parts rambling & possibly incoherent like now. Anyway, I'm doing this as an outlet for my mostly addled mind, so any offence caused is due to you implying something from the text rather than me inferring it.

No comments: